Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Ruby Johnson, M.A. '13, PhD Student

Ruby graduated in 2013 with concentrations in US History and Women & Gender.  She is a PhD student at The George Washington University and splits her time between the DC area and Bethlehem, PA.  Her concentrations at GW are 20th Century US and Gender History; her research focuses on the intersection of gender, religion, and politics. She is particularly interested in the political actions of Mormon women.  Ruby can be contacted by email or telephone at 610.653.4119.

What are some exciting things happening in your life?

I just finished my first year as a PhD student at GWU. So far it has been a difficult, strange, and wonderful experience. I am a graduate fellow at the Eleanor Roosevelt Papers Project. The project works to publish highly selective volumes of Eleanor Roosevelt’s political writing in the years after FDR’s death. We are currently working on Volume III, digitizing previous volumes, and making her monthly newspaper columns available online.

I recently found out that I was selected to attend the Institute for the Editing of Historical Documents in Louisville this July. I received a stipend to cover the costs of my trip and will also be attending the annual conference of the Association for Documentary Editing that follows the institute.

Favorite or recommended history books? 

This is a tough question. I suppose I would suggest The Mormon Question: Polygamy and Constitutional Conflict in Nineteenth-Century America by Sarah Barringer Gordon, No Constitutional Right to Be Ladies: Women and the Obligations of Citizenship by Linda K. Kerber, and Freedom's Orator: Mario Savio and the Radical Legacy of the 1960s by Robert Cohen.

Why did you seek an MA in History? 

I knew that I wanted to eventually pursue my PhD, but I felt like getting my MA was a good stepping stone in the process. For once in my life I was absolutely right. Getting my MA at Villanova was one of the best decisions I have ever made.

Before attending Villanova, what did you have in mind, career-wise, after completing the program?  Did you pursue this?  If not, what changed your mind?

I knew that I wanted to get a PhD and being at Villanova only confirmed this.

Tell us a bit about your experience applying for PhD programs.

I won’t lie: applying for PhD programs is horrible. It is expensive, nerve-wracking, and time consuming (usually at the worst possible time, too). In the end, however, you learn a lot about yourself, what you want to do, and where you want to go which makes it a worthwhile exercise regardless of the outcome.  

Give us a brief description of your PhD student duties.

I am not a TA like most PhD students. I am a fellow at the Eleanor Roosevelt Papers Project. I am required to work 16 hours a week in my office in DC researching, transcribing, annotating, and ranking and subject coding documents for publication. I also take 9 credit hours of classes, research seminars, or independent studies each semester until January 2015 when I take my oral exam. After my exam, I will write my dissertation proposal and my dissertation. I am funded until Spring 2018, but I hope to be done before then.

What do you enjoy about being in a PhD program?  And if you’re comfortable sharing this publicly, what would you say are the less desirable aspects of the gig?

I love doing history every day of my life. I am finally to the point where I get to work on the things I am interested in more than I work on the things that I have to because of a class requirement. I love my job at the project. It is incredibly fascinating and rewarding.  I am also lucky. I am in a program where all the PhD students are funded at the same level for the same amount of time. The other students in my program are really supportive of one another and the people in my cohort have become some of my closest friends. It is good to know that I will be working through all of the craziness with them.

With the good, however, there is usually bad. Getting your PhD is incredibly stressful. You constantly worry about whether you are good enough, doing enough, or disappointing your advisor. Most of the worries are unfounded, but that doesn’t make them go away. 

How have the knowledge and skills you developed at VU helped you as you’ve continued deeper into academia?

I learned so much at Villanova, both about myself and about history. The classes were stimulating, challenging, and taught by some of the most amazing professors I have ever worked with. They truly prepared me to go on to a PhD program and do graduate-level research. My advisors were so supportive and they gave me opportunities I wouldn’t have had elsewhere. Working on the Memorable Days project with Judy Giesberg gave me the knowledge, experience, and confidence to do the work that I am doing now at the Eleanor Roosevelt Papers Project.

Do you have any additional background, training, or experience that’s aided you (examples: another degree or certificate, technical skills, language proficiency, etc.)?

I was introduced to Digital History/Humanities while working on the Memorable Days project. This has become a huge advantage to me as I seek out new tools and resources which are available for researchers and students.

What would you tell current students who are contemplating seeking a PhD?

I will tell you what a very wise professor at Villanova told me: Do what you love. Do it no matter how odd or specific it seems. Seriously, follow your passion because no matter if you continue on to a PhD program or not, you will have spent two years at Villanova doing what you love to do. I do Mormon political history and I wasn’t sure anyone would be interested in working with me, but I was overwhelmed by the enthusiasm I received from potential programs and advisors. My current advisor is so wonderful. He is my biggest supporter and proof that you don’t have to compromise your research interests to find a good fit.

Any other wisdom you’d like to pass on?

Take advantage of all that Villanova has to offer. You are surrounded by amazing professors, students, staff, and resources, and will probably never be in a situation again where you will receive as much intellectual nurturing as you receive at Villanova. Enjoy it. Your time there will fly by incredibly fast so try to pause every once in a while to take note of what you are doing and what you want to be doing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment