Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Emily Hatcher, M.A. '12, Admissions Coordinator

Emily Hatcher graduated in 2012 with a concentration in Women & Gender.  She lives in Ardmore, PA and works as the Admissions Coordinator in Villanova’s Graduate Studies Office.  She can be contacted by email.

What are some exciting things happening in your life?  
I am getting married in July and looking forward to a two-week honeymoon on the Greek islands!

Favorite or recommended history books
 I really enjoyed the books I read relating to Gender and the Civil War in Professor Judith Giesberg’s class, especially Confederate Reckoning by Stephanie McCurry, Army at Home by Judith Giesberg (not just saying that, it was truly one of my favorites!!). I also discovered a whole new way of historical writing during the course I took with Dr. Adele Lindenmeyr in her historical biography course by reading books such as A Midwife’s Tale: The Life of Martha Ballard Based on Her Diary 1785-1812 by Laurel Thatcher Ulrich and The Sea Captain’s Wife by Martha Hodes. These two biographies changed the way I thought about historical writing and influenced my research interests and writing style throughout my time at Villanova.  The World Split Open by Ruth Rosen was the book I read as an undergraduate student in a Women’s History course that made me want to pursue history at the graduate level. I remember the way Rosen wrote this book captivated and engaged me more than anything else I had read in class. Outside of school, I love the books by Eric Larson. He is so incredibly skilled at bringing to life non-fiction. And then of course, the benefit of no longer being in school, has allowed me to read fiction again. I have re-discovered historical fiction over the last two years and love every minute of it! Recently I just finished The Invention of Wings by Sue Monk Kidd. This book is absolutely beautifully written and brought to life two women I studied while at Villanova, Sarah and Angelina Grimke!

Why did you choose to attend graduate school?
After I graduated from Pitt I was not sure what I wanted to do. I worked for a year at a local travel company called Swain Tours in Ardmore. I decided that I definitely wanted to go back to school so applied to some schools in the area. Receiving a GA position made going to Villanova an easy choice and I am so glad that I came! I wanted a terminal master’s program because at that stage I was not sure if I was ready to commit to a PhD program.

Before attending Villanova, what did you have in mind, career-wise, after completing graduate school?  Did you pursue this?  If not, what changed your mind?
I really was not sure. I knew that I always loved being a student and going to class. I suppose when I entered the program at Villanova I thought I would continue on for a PhD, but as I went through the program I realized that what I really loved was the academic environment, being around students and faculty, and Villanova! Working as a Graduate Assistant I got experience in some administrative work by helping out in the History department and also for a short time in the Graduate Studies Office. I got a glimpse of what the admissions process was like, and decided I would be very happy in a place like Villanova. Also, I just started to realize in general that the people who worked at Villanova all seemed very happy and content, which is always a good sign. If you have worked at a place where morale is low and people are unhappy, you will know what I mean!

Can you please provide us with a short description of your job?
The Graduate Studies Office processes the applications for students applying to the 20+ graduate programs in the College of Arts and Sciences. On a daily basis I communicate with prospective students about their applications and interests. I am here to answer any questions they have. I also work with the graduate program directors and administrative staff in the College about their applicants and current students. Another aspect of my job includes student recruitment by attending graduate fairs, hosting information sessions, and promoting our programs in any way that I can. We also have two completely online programs, Human Resource Development and Public Administration, and I process the applications for these programs as well. In addition, I work with Dean Lindenmeyr on creating our Graduate Studies Newsletter.

How did you get involved with your current job/career?
I volunteered in the Graduate Studies Office in my second year during their very busy season in January-February. This gave me a brief introduction to work in graduate admissions. I had already realized that I wanted to work in higher education administration, but was not exactly sure in what capacity. In January of my last semester, I started applying to any and every job I could find in the area in higher ed. Luckily, the Philadelphia region has the second highest number of colleges behind Boston, so there were a lot of job postings. I knew that I didn’t have a lot of experience, but I just applied, applied, applied! I went on several interviews and ended up with a couple of different offers. Then, in around March, I was notified that one of the Admissions Coordinators in the Graduate Studies Office was retiring, so I applied to that job. After several rounds of interviews, I got the job and started 2 days after graduation.

What do you enjoy about your job?
I love working at Villanova! I really enjoy talking to prospective students about their interests and what they’re looking for in a graduate school. Because I had such a positive experience here, I always feel good about helping people decide if Villanova is a good fit for them. I also love working with the people in my office. We get a lot of great work done, but we also have fun together and the days always go by fast. I feel very blessed!

How have the knowledge and skills you developed as a grad student helped you in your current career?
As a student in the MA in history program at Villanova I really honed my skills in writing, researching, communication (both written and oral), analytical thinking, and problem solving, to name a few! It is important when you’re thinking about what you learned as a history student and how you can apply it to job applications there are many ways the skills translate in practical terms. Employers want people who can think on their own, solve problems, raise questions, communicate well with others, and multi-task. I think all of those characteristics speak accurately to the type of person that is interested in graduate history work. We know how to work hard, read, write, tackle difficult research questions, pose new questions, and suggest answers!

Do you have any advice for students who are struggling with the idea of seeking a Ph.D. or are nervous about the job prospects with a M.A. in History?
I think if you are ready to purse a PhD in history it is something you KNOW you want to do. After two years of my master’s degree I felt burnt out. That was a clear indication to me that 5+ years of more graduate history work was not for me! If you plan to purse a PhD you should truly be passionate about your field and be prepared to completely devote yourself to a narrow field of history. Luckily, I think the MA program at Villanova prepares students so well that they will know if they want to continue or not, and you will be ready for whatever you decide to do!

Do you have any other wisdom to pass on to our graduate students?
My advice is to just apply, apply, apply! The great thing about this area is there are so many schools in the region. If you want to get a job in higher ed administration, apply early and often! I started applying to jobs in January of my last semester. Don’t be discouraged if you don’t hear back from the first job you apply to. Eventually, if you keep applying, you will start getting interviews. Be sure to check college and university’s Human Resources websites for job postings; they are always posting new positions. Also, check out www.higheredjobs.com. This website pulls together all jobs posted in higher ed and you can narrow your search by region. Also, while you’re at Villanova get involved in whatever you can. We have many opportunities that would help you add experience to your resume. For example, if you apply to be one of our Graduate Student Ambassadors or apply to be on the Graduate Student Council, you can add to your resume that you have experience recruiting, working with an admissions staff, leadership, etc. Take advantage of every opportunity that comes your way!


No comments:

Post a Comment